Sunday, May 4, 2014


Don't be getting all nervous on me now, after last week any week following would be considered boring.  We were still busy but not the kind of busy where your companion missionary snaps at you because they haven't had a chance to grab a bit to eat all day.  That I can understand.  We had a baptism today and Emmanuel was as excited as a new convert could be.  He bore his testimony after his baptism and while I could only hear a little bit (Africans have a habit of speaking very softly) you could see the excitement in his voice and body language.  I was asked in Sacrament meeting if I could give the talk on baptism.  Thank heavens I still had my sweet granddaughter Ellie's baptism outline in my scriptures.  It was fun.

I have the opportunity to teach gospel doctrine in sunday school but there are only around 5 people that show up.  We had a grand total of 38 in Sacrament Meeting today.  It is a very small branch but we love watching it grow. 

We did have a relapse on our sickle cell elder.  It is so painful to watch.  It attacks the bones and this time it was his back, legs and his jaw that were aching.  We took him in during the afternoon and Nancy was at the Sisters Conference so she could not go.  I had to go out on my own to pick him up and luckily(not for Elder Lipengah) I had been there less than two weeks earlier.  The companion always has to come with them so his companion had to spend the night in the hospital with him.  He had a really rough night so his companion stayed up all night watching over him.  They are so sweet together and I love the Christ like love they show for each other.  After he had stabilized they both shared the bed until he was cleared to go back home.

Elder Cobabe came the first time he had to stay overnight.  It was on their "P" day.  He actually got a couple of hours of sleep on the thin pad provided to the visitors.

Elder Phiri was doing splits so he had to come the second time and spend the night.  After being up all night because he was so concerned with his companion he was sacked out once Elder Lipengah was feeling better.

 Too cute, out like a light.

Last week because we had to take the sick sister home to Kenya we gave shots on the way up at a zone conference.  We then went to Busia for the hand off and traveled back as far Iganga when it got dark and we try not to drive at night.  There are people on the road at all times of the day and night and some of the bodabodas drive without headlights until it is way past dark.  We called the elders in Iganga and got a recommendation for the night.

Here I am showing any of the lost 10 tribes that happened to be in sight how to get to immigration.

Sister Squire took a spear for me.  How can you not appreciate that?

Hotel Continental, nice room but beds were like sleeping on a board.

After getting up the next day we headed back for the next zone conference and more shots.  We had a couple of hours and just outside of Jinja a few kilometers is Bujagali falls.  Here is the picture of the falls...

Here in Africa, when they are out of something, they say "it is finished."  The falls are "finished" because of the damn dam. Sorry about that, sometimes humor overrides good sense...

We did find a tree that has African children as the fruit.  It was exciting to see this one where they were ready to pick.

So after seeing the "falls" we were told there were actually some really nice falls about 20 kilometers further up the road.  The young man (12-14 years old or so) who wanted to be our guide when we were first going in, to where the falls used to be, was not at the turnoff when we went back out.  I thought that was unusual that he would be willing to travel, with a couple of desperate looking people, for a couple of hours to the falls.  Since he was nowhere around, we decided to make a go of it on our own.  We headed out on the dirt road and after around 10 kilometers there was a turn.  There were some bodaboda drivers there so we asked where the falls were.  They pointed the other direction from where we were heading but the were laughing as they gave us directions.  I wasn't sure if they were just having some fun with the mzungu (white guy).  We followed the road and then came to another split in the road.  We had another man come and talk to us and told us we needed to hire a bodaboda to take us to the falls because there aren't any signs.  We agreed and it was still a long way but finally we saw this SIGN.  We were really glad to see that we had made it and the cost was $15 each to get in. 

Once you get in the park there is always someone willing to show you around (you tip them after).  Mark also took some rather nice shots of a beautiful couple that were there at the same time.

Another one - man oh man, I would marry that girl all over again!

The shelter is where the locals come and spend the night fishing.  Sister Squire wanted to try it out and see if the fishing pole actually worked.  I didn't want to wait until night so she agreed to come back with me.

We had a local waiting at the bottom that would go to the top and ride the falls down for a price.  All he would wear was a old beat up life jacket.  The top of the falls they don't even take the river boats down because it so treacherous
 .  We were pressed for time so we didn't take advantage and Sister Squire didn't want to lose someone for our enjoyment anyway.

We have lots of other photos that we could share but enough is enough.  Just in case you are wondering why I am not losing any weight here in Africa, I leave you with these two shots.



  1. Oh Dad...You are so funny! I SO look forward to the updates. The falls look beautiful and the food looks yummy!

  2. Damn dam. Gotta say that one got me laughing. :)

    Also, that food looks great. I don't know anywhere in Utah I could get a calzone like that. Yum!